Thursday, July 12, 2012

All Star Game, Fathers and Sons

As a kid, I have always enjoyed the Baseball All Star Game.  Seeing each of the team's uniforms, watching the best players and of course rooting for the Yankees and the American League.

JP has expressed lots of curiosity in baseball - particularly the strategy, statistics and the intricacies of the game.  Which is fascinating coming from a kid so young.

After reading this excellent article, "All Star Game, Fathers and Sons" I called JP at home.

We decided to go out to a restaurant and watch the baseball game together. 
We set ourselves up in front of the big screen at a local restaurant. 
We ordered ginger ale and drank like men!
We ordered chicken wings and Mac & Cheese.

JP moved his seat closer and asked if we could go to All Star Game next year.
He asked about my Yankees - Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, and Don Mattingly.
He asked if I got a chance to see Babe Ruth play (I chuckled and said no)
He asked why Sammy Sosa cheated (I had no true answer)
He promised he would never take Steroids. (I smiled to myself)

We watched the Yankees hit (just like I did when I was young)
We rushed home after the 3rd inning so we wouldn't miss a pitch.

A simple father and son moment....with baseball as the backdrop. 
I have 362 days to find All Star game tickets for next year.

No comments: