Monday, April 16, 2007

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

On Saturday, David said to me - "Dad, can you & I have boy time?" I was touched & honored, I happily said "of course". Jaclyn & JP were most gracious as they allowed this time for me & David.

I asked David, "What do you want to do?" He said, "I want to put the lower case alphabet letters in the coconut tree". This is in reference to a children's book - Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Disheartening for me. I wanted to wrestle, play football, or have a catch. We set the metal easel along with the magnetic letters. One by one we placed each letter on the board in alphabetical order, removed the vowels, organized by color and then went through the book - WORD BY WORD. David memorized the book.

This is disheartening because the letters are a source of repetition - a calming mechanism for David. After we completed the story, David wanted to do it again. I told him that this was enough focus on the letters. He looked at me & said, "Dad, I love you. Can we have boy time again soon?" I proudly told him we would (heart melting)

David - I look forward to boy time & ya know what - we can do whatever YOU want!

No comments: